Pros and Cons of the Most Popular Countertop MaterialsJanuary 23, 2017 // Posted in:
As kitchen and bath renovations are trending as remodeling resolutions for the new year, homeowners will be searching for the best countertop options. This month, we are exploring the pros and cons of some of the most popular countertop materials to help you choose the best surface for your home and lifestyle.
As one of the industry’s fastest growing markets, the quartz countertop (or engineered stone) is trending as a popular choice among homeowners because of benefits that set it apart from ordinary granite. Granite Transformations Quartz Countertops are stain, scratch and heat-resistant. Plus, they are available in a wide range of patterns, flecks and swirls. Quartz is a perfect fit for many areas of your home: kitchen countertops, bathroom vanities, shower walls, tub surrounds, as well as fireplaces and flooring. Check out the Granite Transformations Photo and Video Gallery for ideas to inspire your next home renovation project.
Pros of Quartz:
- It is stronger than ordinary slab granite, making it extremely durable
- It will not scratch as easily as other surfaces
- It is nonporous, making it more resistant to stains
- Does not require sealing
- Won’t promote the growth of bacteria, mold and mildew
- Often has a shimmer or sparkle that many homeowners find appealing
- Easy to maintain, becoming an ideal choice for bathrooms as well as kitchens, and a good option for families with young children or the elderly who may be susceptible to viruses or bacteria
Cons of Quartz:
- Not heat-resistant
- Shows seams
Known for adding a unique texture and color to a room, concrete countertops have been trending as a hot choice for today’s homes. Don’t let the name fool you. Just because they are made from a mix of general-purpose mortar, sand and pigments, they can be customized to add uncompromising beauty to your home.
Pros of Concrete:
- Customizable by staining or adding pigments to transform the surface into a unique look of granite or other natural stone
- Virtually indestructible
Cons of Concrete:
- Requires sealing
- Can be hard on glasses, dishware and glassware
- Stains easily
- Porous in nature, making it likely to absorb and retain moisture
Still considered one of the most appealing countertop choices for its natural beauty and durability, granite stands out for its natural stone characteristics which make each slab unique for color variations, patterns and shading.
Pros of Slab Granite:
- Water-resistant (when sealed)
- Unique variety of colors and patterns
Cons of Slab Granite:
- High maintenance
Granite by Granite Transformations
Granite Transformations engineers its own granite countertops to outperform ordinary slab granite by using a special proprietary product called ForeverSeal®, a polymer resin used to help strengthen and permanently seal the surface. This process enables Granite Transformations to produce engineered stone which possess the following qualities that outperform natural slab granite.
Pros of Granite by Granite Transformations:
- More durable
- Virtually maintenance-free
- Never needs sealing
- Can be installed in as little as one day
Cons of Granite by Granite Transformations:
- That you haven’t experienced it for yourself
For homeowners looking for an exciting and new eco-friendly option in countertops, recycled glass is topping the charts for adding a modern and fresh look to kitchens and baths across the country. Glass countertops can also be designed to be tempered, translucent, backlit or embedded into concrete.
Pros of Recycled Glass:
- Beautifully dramatic appearance
- Easy to clean
- Nonporous (won’t stain unless set in concrete)
Cons of Recycled Glass:
- Can be chipped or broken
- Not scratch-resistant
- Shows fingerprints and water spots
- Vulnerable to acidic substances
Granite Transformations offers a vast selection of beautifully designed recycled glass countertops that are made from post-consumer and pre-consumer recycled glass, which are combined with varying binding substances. And as with their other countertop surfaces, Granite Transformations uses their exclusive ForeverSeal® polymer resin in their countertops – setting them apart as among the strongest and most durable countertops on the market today.
For more information, please schedule a free in-home design consultation.
For more information how to select the right countertop material for you, read our “Choosing the Right Material for Your Kitchen Countertops” blog.