Skip to main content

Learning the Facts About Quartz Countertops

Last Updated on May 2, 2019

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, pun intended, you’ve most likely heard of quartz countertops. This popular countertop surface has been gaining popularity in the U.S. for the past 20 years or so, vying for first place with granite. What follows are some interesting facts that help put quartz countertops on the map.

Quartz Countertops

What is quartz?

Quartz is one of the most abundant and hardest minerals on Earth, so it makes sense that it would be a great option for a countertop surface. The fact is that’s farthest from the truth. The reality is quartz is unviable as a countertop material – on its own. It wasn’t until the 1960s when manufacturers saw the potential of reinforcing the mineral with polymer resins to make a solid surface that was durable, heat-resistant, and nonporous, just to name a few benefits.

Quartz Countertops

The Italian connection

The process of engineering quartz kitchen countertops was developed in Italy in the early 1960s. It didn’t take long before quartz countertops became popular in Italy and throughout Europe over the next decades. So, why did it take so long to catch on in the U.S.? Experts theorize that as fashion trends which originate in Europe tend to take a while to catch on here, the quartz countertop trend followed suit. Others believe during the 1960s and 1970s, American homeowners were satisfied with laminate and other popular choices and weren’t ready to embrace the natural stone look.

Are quartz countertops “really” quartz?

No one is pulling your leg when speaking of quartz countertops. It’s true they contain some quartz, but its composition goes way beyond that—and for the benefit of homeowners. About 90 percent of quartz countertops are comprised of crushed materials which include ceramic, silica, glass, and of course, some quartz. The other 10 percent is the polymer resin material that binds the materials together to give the “quartz” countertop the look of natural stone.

Here are some of the benefits:

  • Durable
  • Heat-resistant
  • Nonporous and stain-resistant
  • Maintenance-free
  • Environmentally green
  • Available in a variety of colors

Quartz Countertops

Today’s favorite

Although some consumers are die-hard granite fans, quartz is taking over as the more popular choice. During the 1990s, American consumers started catching on to the revolutionary benefits of quartz countertops. Television shows like Home and Garden Television (HGTV) reported that in 2004, quartz countertop sales in the U.S. increased by 60 percent. The rest, as they say, is history.

Spring is the perfect time to start thinking about a kitchen or bath renovation. Quartz countertops make a beautiful addition to any home and it doesn’t have to require any demolition. Contact Granite and Trend Transformations for a free in-home consultation. With most jobs completed in as little as one day, you can be enjoying the benefits of quartz countertops in your home in no time.


Stay Connected!

Subscribe to our email newsletter

Sign up for our Newsletter
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.