How to Care for Quartz CountertopsJune 25, 2018 // Posted in:
Quartz is one of today’s most beautiful countertop surfaces. Quartz is known for its durability, antibacterial qualities, the minimal effort it takes to clean, and of course – its timeless beauty. But how do you keep quartz countertops looking beautiful and new for years to come? Since they’re virtually maintenance-free, caring for your quartz countertops may be easier than you think. Read on to learn the dos and don’ts and best tips for keeping your quartz countertops from Granite and Trend Transformations clean and looking their best for a lifetime.
Your kitchen is a busy place, which means your quartz countertops are bound to need a quick cleaning at least once a day. Keeping up with this daily routine couldn’t be easier. The following list offers recommendations from Granite and Trend Transformations on how to keep quartz countertops clean.
- Wipe down with damp, soapy cloth or paper towel.
- Use Windex® without Ammonia (Crystal Rain™), Formula 409®, or any natural surface cleaner in addition to the soap and water solution, if desired.
- No strong chemical cleaners.
- No ammonia-based products.
- No floor strippers or oven cleaners.
- No steel wool pads.
Spills happen. Luckily, quartz is nonporous and resists mold, mildew and bacteria, which makes it a very sanitary countertop option for kitchens and bathrooms. It also resists stains from many products such as wine, oil, coffee, tea, soda, fruit juice, and even makeup. All it needs is a quick wipe with soap and water, and you’re done! The following list offers recommendations from Granite and Trend Transformations on how to deal with spills on quartz countertops.
- Simply blot the spill with a clean cloth and your countertop will look good as new.
Stubborn dried-on spills
- Use OxiClean®, mixed into a paste, and apply gently with soft plastic pad.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser®.
- Mix baking soda into a paste with warm water and apply to stain. Do not leave on for more than five minutes.
- Countertop polishers and quick cleaning polishers like Gel-Glos®, Magic® Countertop Cleaner or Rock Doctor Granite Polish will bring out the luster in your quartz without leaving a streaky residue.
- Steel wool products or scourers.
- Abrasive cleaners.
- Lemon cleaners.
Hot Pots and Pans
Quartz, recycled glass and granite countertops from Granite and Trend Transformations are heat-resistant, but special care should be taken when handling hot pots and pans to avoid any significant damage.
- Allow pots and pans to cool before placing on surface. (Cast iron may take longer to cool.)
- Keep in mind that brief contact with hot pans and pans won’t create problems.
- Use trivets or hot protection pads.
- Avoid placing cookware taken from oven or burner directly on surface.
- Avoid exposure to open flames.
- Avoid leaving hot fat or oil spills on surface – clean immediately.
Although quartz is one of the easiest surfaces to care for, there are some general rules to keep in mind.
- Abrasive cleansers and scouring pads can dull quartz surfaces.
- Highly acidic products – such as lemon cleaners or highly alkaline cleaners (like oven cleaners and concentrated bleach) – can disintegrate the bonds between the quartz and resin.
- Although quartz is heat-resistant – up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit – prolonged exposure to heat can cause it to crack.
- Although you can cut directly on the countertop, use cutting boards whenever possible.
- Quartz is not meant for outdoor use. Direct sunlight and weather can cause colors to fade, and the surface risks warping or splitting.
Granite and Trend Transformations
Only the highest quality materials are used to create the surface products from Granite and Trend Transformations. And, these products are handled only by our certified installers to ensure first-class workmanship and customer satisfaction. Surfaces are made from quartz, recycled glass or granite – all of which are infused with ForeverSeal®, a proprietary sealing ingredient which makes them stronger, more durable, resistant to staining, and easier to maintain than natural stone. With a little bit of care and regular attention, these surfaces are designed to last. Finally, these products come with a unique Lifetime Limited Warranty to give you added peace of mind.
Contact Granite and Trend Transformations today to schedule a free in-home design consultation and see how quartz surfaces can improve the look of your home.