How to Care for Quartz CountertopsApril 21, 2021 // Posted in:
Quartz is one of today’s most beautiful countertop surfaces. Homeowners love it for its durability, antibacterial qualities, and of course, its timeless beauty. But how do you keep quartz countertops looking beautiful and new for years to come? Since quartz countertops from Granite and TREND Transformations are virtually maintenance-free, caring for them may be easier than you think.
This month, Granite and TREND Transformations is sharing some helpful tips and dos and don’ts for keeping your quartz countertops clean and looking their best.
How many times a day do you clean your countertops? With today’s kitchens experiencing more traffic than ever before, you may find yourself cleaning them more often. Quartz countertops make this part of your day a snap. We’ve put together some easy-to-follow dos and don’ts to help you care for your quartz countertops and keep them clean:
- Wipe down with a damp, soapy cloth or paper towel.
- Use Windex® without Ammonia (Crystal Rain™), Formula 409®, or any natural surface cleaner in addition to the soap and water solution, if desired.
- No strong chemical cleaners.
- No ammonia-based products.
- No floor strippers or oven cleaners.
- No steel wool pads.
Spills happen. Luckily, quartz is nonporous, which means it resists mold, mildew, and bacteria. It also resists stains from many products such as wine, oil, coffee, tea, soda, fruit juice, and even makeup. All quartz needs is a quick wipe with soap and water, and you’re done! Here are some recommendations on how to care for spills on quartz countertops:
- Simply blot the spill with a clean cloth and your countertop will look as good as new.
Stubborn dried-on spills
- Use OxiClean®—mixed into a paste—and apply gently with a soft plastic pad.
- Clean Magic Eraser®.
- Mix baking soda into a paste with warm water and apply to the stain. Do not leave on for more than five minutes.
- Countertop polishers and quick cleaning polishers like Gel-Glos®, Magic® Countertop Cleaner, or Rock Doctor Granite Polish will bring out the luster in your quartz without leaving a streaky residue.
- Steel wool products or scourers.
- Abrasive cleaners.
- Lemon cleaners.
Hot Pots and Pans
The beautiful line of etherium® By E-Stone surfaces from Granite and TREND Transformations is heat-resistant; however, special care should be taken when handling hot pots and pans to avoid any significant damage.
- Allow pots and pans to cool before placing on a surface. (Cast iron may take longer to cool.)
- Keep in mind that brief contact with hot pans and pans won’t create problems.
- Use trivets or hot protection pads.
- Avoid placing cookware taken from the oven or burner directly on the surface.
- Avoid exposure to open flames.
- Avoid leaving hot fat or oil spills on the surface. Clean immediately.
General Maintenance of Quartz Countertops
Although quartz is one of the easiest surfaces to care for, there are some general rules to keep in mind.
- Abrasive cleansers and scouring pads can dull quartz surfaces.
- Highly acidic products—such as lemon cleaners or highly alkaline cleaners (e.g., oven cleaners and concentrated bleach)—can disintegrate the bonds between the quartz and resin.
- Although quartz is heat-resistant—up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit—prolonged exposure to heat can cause it to crack.
- Although you can cut directly on the countertop, use cutting boards whenever possible.
- Quartz is not meant for outdoor use. Direct sunlight and weather can cause colors to fade, and the surface risks warping or splitting.
Surfaces made for beauty, durability, and peace mind
At Granite and TREND Transformations, your safety and satisfaction are our primary concerns. Did you know our etherium® By E-Stone surfaces are the only engineered stone products that have built-in antimicrobial technology from Microban®? Not familiar with Microban®? Check this out: It’s technology works continuously to inhibit the growth of bacteria—24 hours a day, 7 days a week—to keep surfaces cleaner between regular cleanings. So, what does that mean for you? Peace of mind when it matters most. In addition, the protection will last for the expected lifetime of the product.
Finally, when it comes to maintenance, we have you covered—literally. All of our surfaces are infused with ForeverSeal®, a proprietary sealing ingredient which makes them stronger, more durable, resistant to staining, and easier to maintain than natural stone. Plus, our products are backed by a unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
We hope you found this information on caring for your quartz countertops helpful. Are you thinking about bringing the beauty of quartz into your home? How about some inspiration? Contact us today for a free in-home—or virtual—design consultation. A beautiful new space is closer than you think.