Home Sweet Home: Design Tips to Make You Feel Right at HomeNovember 2, 2020 // Posted in:
Last Updated on February 11, 2021
Buying a new home is an exciting time. Whether you’re a first-time homebuyer, relocating, or upsizing, turning your new house into a home is all about tapping into your personal design style. Before you begin looking at paint swatches, however, there are some tasks you may want to consider taking care of first.
This month, as the second part to our “Homebuyers’ Series,” Granite and TREND Transformations offers tips on what to do first, how to build your space, and— if you haven’t tried it already—introducing you to our cool Visualizer Tool, which allows you to select your favorite combination of materials and see your kitchen or bath BEFORE the renovation! In case you missed it, check out last month’s blog, “Real Estate Markets Surge as Buyers Seek Larger Homes During Pandemic: What to Look for When Buying a Home in the COVID-Era.”
Five things to do first
Moving into your new home is so much more than unpacking. Staying organized and having a plan will go a long way when it comes to making your new home a sweet one. Here are some of the things experts say you should do first:
- Set up your bedroom—Move-in day can be exhausting. Setting up your bedroom should be a priority so that you can enjoy a good night’s rest in your new home and be refreshed for the next day. Designers suggest placing your bed parallel to a window. Dress your bed first. Then, you can begin arranging everything else to your liking.
- Dress your windows—Privacy is important. Undressed windows can make you feel like you’re living in a fishbowl. Experts agree it’s best to order window coverings prior to moving in.
- Unpack personal items/toiletries—Having full access to your toiletries is one way you can immediately feel right at home. From toilet paper to your favorite soaps and shampoos, arranging these necessities early on is an important step for settling in.
- Set up the kitchen—There’s no denying the kitchen is the heart of the home. Organizing your kitchen and unpacking necessary items such as plates, utensils, glassware, cookware, and small appliances will make for a seamless transition into mealtime for you and your family. Experts agree to try and resist the temptation to order take out on the first night. Cooking a casual meal in your new kitchen can bring a sense of togetherness and make your new house feel like home.
- Change the locks—This may sound like an obvious step in moving into your new home, but experts agree it’s a necessary one. Be sure to change every lock in the house. One never knows if previous owners still have their keys. Changing the locks brings peace of mind in knowing you won’t be encountering any unwanted intruders.
Design tips to make you feel right at home
Your home reflects your personal design style. But what is the best way to determine the colors, materials, and arrangements that will pull it all together? A great way to do this is to take a look in your closet. What colors do you gravitate toward? Is your style traditional or more progressive? Designers believe that taking a hard look at your likes and dislikes is the perfect starting point to deciding the perfect design balance in your home. Here are some ways to transform your empty spaces into inviting, comfortable, and family-friendly places:
- Plan your space—Some people tend to use furniture that doesn’t fit their space. Furniture that is either too big or too small can make the room feel out of balance. It’s best to measure your space before you move in so that you can get an idea of how your furniture will look in the room. Building around the space helps to ensure you have enough seating for formal living as well as planning for family-friendly rooms such as dens, entertainment areas, and home offices.
- Select paint colors—Choosing the right paint color for your new home is one of the most important design decisions you’ll make. Did you know color could even affect your mood? Wall color is the anchor that connects your spaces, so you want to be sure the hue you select is one that blends with your lifestyle and design personality. Keep in mind that a color that looks fabulous at a friend’s house may not look the same in yours. Experts suggest applying your favorite paint samples to the walls and then observe them in natural light for a few days. This will give you an idea of how the walls will look at all hours of the day.
- Select items of different price points—Sticking to a budget while designing your new home starts with putting your money where it counts. Mixing high and low-price points allows you to have the best of both worlds while staying within your budget. And remember: Rome wasn’t built in a day, so it’s important to pace yourself when trying to design your perfect space.
Designing your dream space with the Visualizer Tool
Moving into a new home allows you to see all the possibilities for improving your space. Most homeowners would agree they would like to tweak their kitchens or baths. Some may even say they want a total renovation. But how do you know what colors and design styles would look best?
Welcome to the reality of “seeing is believing” with the Visualizer Tool from Granite and TREND Transformations. It’s the latest in design technology that puts the power of creativity at your fingertips. The Visualizer Tool allows users to see what their space will look like BEFORE the renovation. Choose from our beautiful inventory of cabinets, etheriumTM By E-Stone engineered surfaces, gorgeous mosaic tiles, and even flooring. And the best part is you can switch them up any way you like—as many times as you like—until you’ve designed your dream space. Does this sound too good to be true? Try out the Visualizer Tool here!
Is your kitchen or bath ready for a change? Contact Granite and TREND Transformations for your free in-home or virtual design consultation and discover the possibilities.