Holiday Checklist: Preparing Your Home for the HolidaysDecember 13, 2019 // Posted in:
There’s no place like home for the holidays. It’s that time of year when going all out is never over the top. From decking the halls to preparing a cozy, well-appointed guest room, now is a great time to unleash your holiday excitement to create a welcoming and festive retreat for your family and guests.
Before you say, “Not another list,” check this one out. With so much to do during the holidays, Granite and TREND Transformations has taken the guesswork out of getting your home “holiday-ready.” The only thing left is for you to check it twice!
Create a welcoming entry way
Nothing says “welcome home” at the holidays more than a festive entryway. No matter your style, hanging a wreath on your front door is a great place to start. Here are some other beautiful ways to decorate your entryway that are sure to entice your guests to walk up to your front door:
- Place potted evergreens or poinsettias at your front door.
- Hang lighted garland around the doorway.
- Place battery-operated lanterns along the walkway.
Deck the halls and other spaces
Today, it’s all about placing holiday touches all around your home. Start by decluttering the main living spaces like your living room, kitchen and bathrooms. This will give you a clean slate where you can create your winter wonderland. Here are some festive and economical ways to add holiday cheer to spaces in your home:
- Create a cozy living room or den by swapping out or adding holiday-themed throw pillows and throws.
- Fill your favorite bowls with pretty ornaments or pinecones to add a touch of holiday cheer to your tables.
- For your kitchen, hang a wreath in the window or doorway, and set your table with some favorite holiday placemats and napkins. Or, consider creating a simple centerpiece of pinecones and fresh greenery.
- Bathrooms deserve some attention, too. Swapping out your everyday guest towels with holiday towels and adding scented candles or soaps are easy ways to make your guests feel special while adding a touch of the season to this space.
- Bedrooms are our sanctuaries. What then could be cozier than a holiday-themed bedroom? Start by dressing your bed with your favorite holiday colors and adding soft pillows and a throw. For an added touch, try setting up a small lighted tree. It’s an easy way to add a cozy feel to your bedroom – not to mention some extra light.
Be our guest
If you are expecting overnight guests this holiday season, now is the time to revisit your guest room. Your home will be their home for as long as they’re staying with you. Here are some ways to make your guests feel welcome, comfortable, and right at home:
- Make room in the closet and dresser drawers. Your guests will appreciate the space to unpack their belongings.
- Dress the bed in fine linens and a cozy comforter. Be sure to have an extra blanket or two on hand for cold, wintry nights. And, if you’re sheets and pillows have seen better days, now is the time to replace them. Your guests will thank you after a well-rested slumber.
- Keep fresh towels and extra toiletries like toothbrushes, lotions, shampoos, and even some holiday-scented bath and shower gels on hand.
- Place fresh seasonal flowers or greenery on a nightstand. Or, for a more special touch, set up a small lighted tree which will provide a cozy atmosphere.
Prep for less stress
Let’s be honest. The holidays can be a stressful time but preparing now can mean less stress later. Now that your home is dressed up in its holiday best, it’s time to get down to basics. Here’s a quick rundown of a holiday to-do list that you’ll be happy you checked over twice:
- Clean out the fridge and pantry. Check for expiration dates, wipe down shelving, and organize according to your holiday needs. Baskets and bins come in handy to keep what you need, where you need it.
- Plan holiday menus to include breakfast ideas, an open house, cocktail parties, and the main event.
- Stock the pantry and freezer with easy “go-to” appetizers.
- Stock up on essentials like bathroom tissue, cleaning supplies, coffee, tea, sugar, flour and other staples.
- Keep a well-rounded bar with essential spirits, mixers, wine, as well as non-alcoholic options.
- Take inventory of your stemware, flatware, and paper goods. Glasses break, utensils can go missing and paper goods will dwindle. Treat yourself to new ones and restock paper goods. Keep extras on hand for unexpected drop-in guests or impromptu gatherings.
- Have your furnace inspected.
- Check the chimney and fireplace and be sure to stock up on firewood.
- Clean the floors and carpeting.
- Test smoke detectors.
- Childproof your home if you’re expecting little ones to visit. Set up a “kid’s zone” with kid-friendly, age-appropriate games. It’s a great break for both the kids and parents while keeping them close enough where you can keep an eye on them.
Are you looking for a quick kitchen or bathroom facelift before the holidays? Learn more about our beautiful etheriumTM by E-Stone surfaces. Contact Granite and TREND Transformations today for your free in-home design consultation.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season!