Fact or Fiction Quiz: Test Your Knowledge on Quartz CountertopsMay 20, 2020 // Posted in:
Last Updated on August 1, 2022
Quartz countertops continue to increase in popularity as today’s homeowners are choosing this material for its beauty and practicality. But how much do you really know about quartz? This month, Granite and TREND Transformations has put together a fun quiz on some facts and fictions about quartz that will test your knowledge and keep you in the know when deciding on a countertop surface for your home. They all tie in to our beautiful etherium® by E-Stone surfaces. See how many you know. No cheating. The answers are below.
FACT OR FICTION?
- Quartz countertops are man-made.
- Quartz is the most abundant and hardest mineral on Earth’s crust.
- Quartz can be made to look like granite, marble and other natural stones.
- Quartz is nonporous, and thus does not require sealing, which decreases the chance of harmful bacterial growth on the surface.
- Quartz chips and cracks easily.
- Quartz is stain- and heat-resistant.
- Quartz weighs less than granite and has a unique veined appearance.
- Quartz is well-suited for outdoors and direct sunlight.
- Quartz is a great option for large surfaces.
- All manufacturers of quartz are created equal.
Let’s see how well you did.
- Fact. Unlike natural slab granite (which produces naturally on Earth), quartz countertops are a blend of natural quartz and polymer resins.
- Fiction. Feldspar is the most abundant mineral found on Earth’s continental crust (with quartz coming in second). Diamonds are the hardest minerals found on Earth.
- Fact. By adjusting the process, the texture of quartz can be manufactured to be fine or coarse. By adding pigments to the mix, the material can take on a palette of varying colors.
- Fact. Granite and TREND Transformations offers a wide variety of quartz countertops that are part of our exclusive etherium® by E-Stone product line. They are maintenance-free and permanently sealed with ForeverSeal® technology – our proprietary sealing ingredient that ensures your surface will never need sealing.
- Fiction. Quartz is naturally dense and hard, making it highly resistant to chips and cracks.
- Fact. Since quartz is nonporous, it’s a champion at resisting stains. And when it comes to heat, quartz stands up to hot pots and pans with equal strength – taking the stress out of busy cooking nights.
- Fiction. Quartz weighs more than granite and – due to its unique manufacturing process – has a uniform appearance.
- Fiction. Quartz is not recommended for outdoor installation since direct sunlight and prolonged heat exposure can damage the material.
- Fact. Since it is manufactured in long, thick slabs, quartz is perfect for large surfaces (such as countertops and islands) and can be installed in one piece.
- Fiction. There are several quartz manufacturers in the industry. But not all are created equal. Granite and TREND Transformations’ etherium® by E-Stone products are made at an exclusive manufacturing plant in Sebring, Florida, allowing us to have complete quality control over our products. We use unique proprietary processes which give our products their exclusive look and sets them apart from the rest. That’s why we can back our products with a Lifetime Limited Warranty.
We hope this fun and informative quiz has answered some of your questions about quartz countertops. No matter how many questions you answered correctly, you now have the knowledge as an educated consumer to make the best choice the next time you’re in the market for a new countertop. And don’t forget about your backsplash and cabinets. Most Granite and TREND Transformations jobs can be completed in as little as one day. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation.