Backyard Design Trends that Bring Beauty, Comfort and Functionality to Your Outdoor Living SpaceJuly 12, 2015 // Posted in:
Last Updated on January 3, 2020
With summer in full swing and daylight lasting into the night, our backyards are the new hot spot for entertaining and family fun. Homeowners are embracing the hottest trends in eco-landscaping and backyard design by creating outdoor spaces with all the luxuries and amenities of indoors.
Here are some of the top trends in backyard design to make your outdoor space your favorite summer sanctuary:
- Sustainable Plants – Today’s homeowners are rethinking their gardens by choosing plants that are tolerant to both hot, dry summers and cold, wet winters. It’s a sound choice, both economically and environmentally. For example, Prairie blue-eyed grass, Arctic poppy, and lily-of-the-valley are perennials that can grow in cold and hot climates.
- Keep Edibles Front and Center – Blending a garden with edibles and ornamentals allows homeowners to eliminate turf grass and keep their harvest of fruits, vegetables and herbs easily accessible. For urban areas, edible gardens are a great way to create community by sharing the bounty with neighbors.
- Keep Your Cool – We may be enjoying the warmth of summer, but even the best of us need some shade. Enjoy your patio or deck even more by using retractable awnings, umbrellas or even planting mature trees around your outdoor space. For a more classic look, pergolas and arbors adorned with vines are a cozy and great way to escape the heat and still enjoy the beauty of your backyard.
- Cooking Al Fresco – Dining in our backyards is a welcome summer event, but all the trips back and forth from the kitchen to the patio can make us build up even more of an appetite. Today’s homeowners are adding outdoor kitchens to enjoy the experience even more. The best part is that you don’t have to build anything large-scale that might break your budget. If you have a grill with a side burner, then you’re already on your way. Consider adding a countertop for prepping food and closed storage to create a convenient cooking area. Adding a small refrigerator and a sink for easier prep and clean-up will round out your outdoor kitchen and allow you to extend your al fresco dining experience throughout the seasons.
- Outdoor Living Rooms Created for Comfort, Style and Durability – Just take one trip to your local outdoor furniture retailer and you’ll be amazed at the choices of patio furniture, fabrics and accessories for outdoor living. Classic materials like wrought iron, cast iron and wrought or cast aluminum are still available, but new synthetic, weather-proof patio furniture and fabrics are taking center stage, as they offer homeowners the same comfort and style of their indoor living rooms.
Granite Transformations provides quartz, glass and granite countertops kitchens, bathrooms and virtually anywhere in your home that features a countertop. Check out each of our kitchen remodeling services and schedule your free in-home consultation today.