Last Updated on November 22, 2021
Healthy holiday eating. Is there such a thing? It almost sounds naughty in itself. We all look forward to eating our favorite holiday foods, so the last thing you want to think about is counting calories. So, how do you indulge without the bulge?
This month, Granite and TREND Transformations has some helpful tips for you to stay on a healthy track during the holidays while enjoying your seasonal favorites. Whether you’re hosting the big event or are a welcomed guest, we have you covered.
Let’s talk turkey
There’s nothing like the succulent aroma of a roasting turkey to whet your appetite for a fabulous holiday meal. With the turkey taking center stage, the good news is it’s lower in calories than you may have thought and packed with protein! The only decision you’ll have to make is choosing white or dark meat. Here are the facts:
Whole roasted turkey—A 4 ounce serving has 170 calories, 9 grams of fat, 0 grams of carbs and a whopping 21 grams of protein.
Note: For an even healthier option, roasting a whole turkey breast will save you even more calories and fat.
Oh, wait., “Can you pass the gravy?” If you’re trying to save some calories for the dessert buffet, go easy on the gravy and try to limit it to about a 1/4 cup per serving of turkey.
All about the sides
Not to insult the turkey, but we all know that when it comes to indulging in our culinary cravings, it’s all about the sides. (And we haven’t even hit the dessert buffet yet!) From your favorite stuffing recipe (or dressing, depending what part of the country you’re from) to traditional favorites like green bean casserole and candied yams, there are hidden calories that can sabotage your waistline. The good news is that if you’re hosting the holiday, you’re in control of the menu. Offer your guests healthier versions of a few side dishes for those who have dietary restrictions. And, if you happen to be the guest, ask the host if you can bring a “lighter” version of a traditional side dish or dessert, so that you can enjoy your favorites without the guilt. Check out these delicious recipes for some healthy side dish inspo!
Did someone say dessert?
Yes, you can have your cake (or pie) and eat it, too. With some mindful planning and simple trade-offs, you can kick the temptation and enjoy your holiday while making healthy choices. Did you know that a slice of pumpkin pie has less sugar and calories—even with a dollop of whipped cream—than a slice of pecan pie? Just a little food for thought.
Hacks for healthy holiday eating
The holidays are a fun and festive time of year, and typically a time when we are tempted to let our guards down. Here are some ways to help you make the most of your holidays while also staying healthy:
- Be sure to eat breakfast and even lunch before the big feast or holiday party. Skipping meals to “save up” for the food fest will only tempt you to overeat.
- Go for a short walk or get in some exercise to keep your metabolism going.
- Survey your food options when you arrive so that you can “holiday-proof” your plan to skip certain foods in order that you may enjoy your favorites.
- Snack on healthier low-calorie party foods, such as raw vegetables, grapes, salsa, and shrimp, which will allow you to try some of the other decadent appetizers.
- For buffet-style dining, use a smaller plate to help control serving size, and be sure to distance yourself afterwards so you’re not tempted to go back for seconds.
- Holiday cheer in the form of eggnog or other alcoholic options may be part of the celebration. If you decide to partake, keep in mind they are typically packed with sugar and calories. Treat them like a dessert to keep your planning in perspective.
- When you think you’ve had enough, try having a mint or a piece of gum. This hack will not only stop you from overindulging, but mint has been known to act as a mild appetite suppressant.
There’s no doubt the holidays are a busy time of year. With so much to do, we often slack on our exercise routines—not to mention missing out on time for our mental well-being. It is therefore important to incorporate some type of activity for a healthy mind-body balance. Here are some suggestions to keep in mind:
- Park further away when shopping or running errands.
- Break down your exercise routine into smaller sessions throughout the day. For example, take 10-minute walks, do a short dance session, or a quick set of squats several times a day.
- Don’t forget to schedule some “me” time. Whether it’s taking a hot bath, doing yoga, reading your favorite magazine, or talking with a friend, doing something for yourself is the best way to re-energize your mind, body, and spirit.
We hope you found our blog fun and informative. For more Thanksgiving inspiration, read another of our holiday selections, “Thanksgiving Table Settings to Suit Your Personal Style.”
Does your kitchen or bathroom need a refresh? Contact us today for your free in-home consultation and see how our beautiful line of etherium® By E-Stone surfaces, stunning mosaic tiles, and classic cabinetry can add beauty and sophistication to your home.
Wishing you and your family a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
Last Updated on August 1, 2022
Bob Vila Ranks Granite and TREND Transformations “Best for Kitchen Renovations”
When Bob Vila, the most trusted name in all things home improvement, ranks you among the Best Home Improvement Contractors of 2021, you know you’re doing your job right. And for Granite and TREND Transformations, that means taking the top spot for “Best for Kitchen Renovations”!
We are “over the top”
To say we are honored with this recognition may be an understatement, but we are literally “over the top”—which was one of the reasons Granite and TREND Transformations was ranked among the best in the business. One of the criteria was how our company has the ability to turn a homeowner’s idea into reality while staying within the scope of local building codes and budget. Getting to the “after” faster helps us achieve that goal. Our “over the top” solution is the smarter way to renovate—with little to no demolition. That means less mess and stress for you. And who wouldn’t want that?
Our benefits are—literally—set in stone
Let’s face it: Your kitchen countertops set the tone for your kitchen style. At Granite and TREND Transformations, our beautiful line of etherium® By E-Stone surfaces covers all the bases. From granite and quartz to marble and recycled glass, we offer the best of today’s most on-trend surfaces, colors, and designs that will elevate the look of any décor. But there’s more than meets the eye. Wondering why our surfaces rise to the top? Here are two key benefits that set us apart from the rest:
- Microban® antimicrobial technology— Our unique etherium® By E-Stone surfaces have built in 24/7 Microban® antimicrobial technology, which means they work harder and smarter than other surfaces—keeping them cleaner and fresher for longer periods of time. And did you know etherium® By E-Stone surfaces are the only engineered surface that offers 24/7 Microban® protection? With cleanliness being a top priority today, this is one advantage that tops them all.
- ForeverSeal®—ForeverSeal® is a proprietary polymer resin that is built right in to our etherium® by E-Stone countertops. Unlike the daily worries of scratches, stains and heat vulnerability that you would have with natural granite countertops, our unique line of engineered surfaces are sealed with ForeverSeal®, which makes them stronger, more durable, easier to maintain, and best of all—worry-free.
Elevated beauty with mosaic tile
If your kitchen countertops set the tone for style, then your backsplash is the ultimate design accessory. Our extensive selection of mosaic tile can transform the look of your kitchen, thus allowing you to unleash your creative side while showing off your unique personality. And were you aware that within 24 hours, our expert backsplash installers could have your area looking nearly unrecognizable? (In the best way possible, of course!) Want to see for yourself? Check out our kitchen Visualizer Tool and pick and choose your favorite combination of colors and styles. It’s a cool way to see how your kitchen will look BEFORE the renovation. And, lest we forget about the cabinets! Our cabinet refacing could be the finishing touch to designing the kitchen of your dreams.
Are you inspired to refresh your kitchen? Trust Granite and TREND Transformations to get the job done smarter. Contact us today.
Last Updated on November 10, 2021
She’s back! Janet—the practical and amusing design guru for Granite and TREND Transformations—is back with another series of TV commercials and videos designed to show homeowners like you how we get to the “after” faster.
Focus on results
You already know what your kitchen or bath looks like, so why compare “before” and “after” pictures like other retailers do? What you really want to see is the result—the “after,” if you will. That’s where Janet steps in. In her typical quirky fashion, Janet cuts to the chase by showing you how our cutting-edge renovation projects can be completed faster and with less mess and stress than other remodeling companies. Who wouldn’t want to see that?
“People don’t want to be displaced from their homes for weeks and months on end due to the lengthy traditional kitchen and bathroom home remodeling process. Janet explains how, with our unique over-the -top solution, we get them to the ‘after’ faster—with less mess and less stress.”
Vanessa Conde, Senior Global Vice President of Marketing for Granite and TREND Transformations
The “after” effects
Some things are set in stone—so to speak. And when it comes to the “after,” Janet has some “after”effects that you won’t mind enduring:
- After a homeowner has a consultation—whether in-person or virtual—the professionals at Granite and TREND Transformations create beautifully constructed etherium® By E-Stone countertops, complete with built-in 24/7 protection from Microban® antimicrobial technology.
- After these countertops are constructed, they are perfectly fitted over the old surfaces. (You know, the “before” phase.) In contrast to the time, work, and expense required of a complete renovation, Granite and TREND Transformations can remake and revitalize almost any kitchen or bathroom space “super-fast,” as Janet says.
Facing the facts on refacing
Just as Janet puts a face to our name, our beautiful cabinet refacing styles are the perfect complement to our gorgeous line of etherium® By E-Stone countertop surfaces. Granite and TREND Transformations makes it all possible with a variety of the most popular styles and colors to match any design taste. And don’t forget that our professional design team is your go-to inspiration resource when it comes to selecting the perfect mosaic tile backsplash, tub surround, flooring, and so much more.
Seeing is believing
See Janet in action as she describes our unique “over-the-top” solution that will have you seeing results and focusing on the “after” part of your renovation project.
“After all,” as Janet says, “over a million satisfied customers can’t be wrong.”
Contact us today for a free design consultation and see how you can get to the “after” part of your renovation faster with an installation process that is literally “over the top!”
Last Updated on November 8, 2021
There’s excitement in the air this holiday season as friends and family plan on going all out to make this the best Thanksgiving yet after having to stay socially distanced for some time. With so much catching up—and so much cooking and baking to be done—many people are blending traditions to keep the holiday fun and festive. Did someone mention “Friendsgiving”?
This month, Granite and TREND Transformations joins the fun as we kick off (yes, football pun intended) the season with the top Thanksgiving traditions to try this year. Let’s see how many will be on your list.
Host a Friendsgiving celebration
If you’ve never heard of Friendsgiving, then you’re hearing it here first! Just as it sounds, Friendsgiving is a fun play on words—combining “friends” and “Thanksgiving”—where you and your best friends gather to share your own special holiday dishes and all the trimmings. This new holiday celebration is catching on with friends who always wished they could spend the holidays together, but were with their own families on the actual holiday. So, where did this idea come from? Some say it originated from the Thanksgiving episode of the hit television show, Friends. In any event, Friendsgiving is becoming so popular that it recently made it into Merriam-Webster’s dictionary in January 2020.
So, let’s talk turkey. If you’re ready to host a Friendsgiving celebration, here’s all you need to know to make it great:
- It can be celebrated in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving Day, or at any time that works best for your crew.
- One of your friends—maybe even you—will host the celebration and ask everyone to bring a dish. Making this a potluck gathering takes the burden off of the host so that everyone can enjoy a relaxing time. All you have to do is set a festive table and cook the bird—or cater it!
As the expression goes, “Friends are the family we choose” So, this year, why not put the word out and start your own Friendsgiving tradition with your besties?
One of the best things about the holidays is spending time with your family and friends. But, giving thanks and giving back are important parts, too. Yes, Thanksgiving is all about the turkey and football, but there is so much more that goes into hosting the big event. Here are some fun ways to celebrate on Thanksgiving that just might turn into new traditions for your family:
Pie baking competition
Who makes the best apple pie in your family? Having a bake-off competition is a fun and tasty way to settle the score for good. Have your guests do a taste test and let the competition begin. And may the best pie win!
Getting everyone outside in the fresh air—and out of your hair—is a great way for families to spend time together. Try a game of cornhole or flag football to get their appetites ready for the big meal ahead. This is one tradition that may very well carry over for generations to come.
Pumpkin decorating contest
Here’s one that the kids—and the kids at heart—will love to do. Purchase a variety of pumpkins and set up a craft station. Provide yarn, markers, paint, and other crafting essentials and let them go to town. You can even put out colored construction paper and kid-safe scissors and have them make paper turkey hats! How apropos is that?
Giving back to the less fortunate goes hand in hand with the spirit of the season. Volunteering to feed the hungry, visiting with the elderly, or even bringing a holiday meal to a family in need is a wonderful way to share the meaning of the season. Why not add this one to your list of family traditions?
Put up the Christmas tree
The jury is still out on the right time for putting up the tree. But with everyone there, why not make it a family affair? Plus, with all the extra helpers, your tree will be up and beautiful in no time. And just think— it’s one less thing on your holiday to-do list!
Say a special prayer or some words of gratitude
There’s always something to be grateful for. You don’t have to be religious to express your gratitude. Starting a tradition of saying a special Thanksgiving prayer or grateful words before dinner is a touching way to start the meal.
Watch your favorite holiday movie
There’s something special about cozying up after a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner and enjoying your favorite holiday movie. This classic Thanksgiving tradition is almost as popular as watching football. It’s even better when looking at your Christmas tree. Hint, hint!
Entertaining in style
The holidays are all about entertaining. Having just the right space in just the right place can make your holiday entertaining a breeze. Kitchen islands make everything easier and are a host’s paradise when it comes to prepping and serving. Imagine the ease and beauty of serving your guests on a new kitchen island in your home? Already have a kitchen island? Our beautiful line of etherium® By E-Stone surfaces and “over-the-top” installation process can transform your kitchen island with today’s most sought-after looks. It’s a less stress, less mess solution that can be done in as little as a day.
We hope you enjoyed our blog and were inspired to try some new traditions with your family. What’s your favorite Thanksgiving tradition?
If you’ve been thinking about a kitchen or bathroom refresh, we invite you to schedule a free in-home, or virtual, design consultation. Contact us today.
Wishing you and your family a happy and safe Thanksgiving!