Today’s homeowners are feeling confident about home remodeling after bouncing back from the recent recession by diving into a fresh set of design ideas that are trending in 2014. Industry experts weigh in on their predictions for the latest interior design and home remodeling trends.
A 2013 Hanley Wood survey revealed that remodeling sales are up 10 percent (when compared to 2012), and this number is expected to increase another 10 percent in 2014, according to 45 percent of remodelers who were surveyed. Among all rooms in a home, kitchen remodels scored highest and bathroom renovations came in a close second. Here are their top five remodeling trends for 2014:
• More Modern Kitchens – Sleek and simple is the new look to today’s modern kitchen renovation. Where the warmer, rustic feel of the past was once the most popular décor, it is now all about white and grey cabinetry, simple countertops, glossy finishes and simplistic designs. Even appliances are being hidden away or blended into the design to create a more refined appearance.
• Brass is Back – Brass is back (but not like you think). The highly polished, bright brass fixtures and lighting that we’ve all come to know have been replaced by a more elegant and rustic finish. Designers are incorporating this new look of dull and hammered brass into kitchen and bathroom hardware, as well as lighting and door hardware.
• Resort-style Bathrooms – Vintage-style bathrooms are giving way to resort-style designs with amenities such as large walk-in showers with multiple showerheads, heated floors and towel racks and jetted bathtubs. Soothing neutral and cool colors (like Ash Gray, Light Blue and Off-White) are becoming more popular, as are glass tiles.
• Turn up the Color – According to Pantone, the international authority on color, vibrant colors that include Green Flash, Lemon Zest, Nectarine and Rouge Red will be interior designers’ new color palette for accent walls, main paint colors and flooring in bedrooms and main living spaces throughout the house.
• Staying Green – Energy-efficiency and the use of renewable and sustainable materials is expected in today’s home renovations. Experts agree that homeowners will see more renewable materials such as recycled glass counters and backsplashes, energy-efficient appliances and more creative designs incorporating local climate.
Here are some additional predictions for interior design and home remodeling trends for 2014 and beyond:
• Free Standing Tubs – Are becoming more popular than tiled-in tubs, and they take up less space in the bathroom.
• Floating Shelves – Open up spaces in the kitchen by eliminating long runs of cabinets by creating different sections.
• Express Yourself – Homeowners will put it all out there when it comes to bold use of color or ornamentation. Some examples are the use of jeweled colors, gilded frames and layered textiles.
• Multigenerational Living – Households that accommodate aging parents and boomerang kids are becoming more prevalent today, as homeowners are finding themselves designing bathrooms with features ranging from wall mounted sinks for wheelchairs, to walk-in bathtubs, to motion-sensing faucets that may make life easier for everyone in the family.
• Urban Downsizing – As downsizing continues to be a trend among homeowners, moving closer to urban downtown areas in smaller spaces is becoming more popular than living in larger homes in the suburbs.
Whether you want a modern kitchen, resort-style bathroom or environmentally-friendly and sustainable materials to remodel your kitchen and bath, Granite Transformations has what you need to help your remodel go smoothly. Contact us for a free in-home design consultation, and get started on your home improvement project.